Monday, October 31, 2011

Swim Lessons

Some days when I come home from work I wish that it would be like coming home from swim lessons.

Swim lessons, swim team really, was a full body workout. A full body workout right around lunchtime, so I never ate very much before lessons, because who wants to swim on a full stomach. After swim lessons, it was chow-down time. 

One sibling would grab the mail from our box so that we would have something to read for chow-down time. We had our favorites: Parents magazine was good, Real Simple was excellent, and of course any newsletter or personal note addressed to my mother was fair game. If it was a slow mail day we would gather our most recent library books. 

Almost always, we had Adventures in Odyssey playing. And for our snack: cheddar rice cakes and goldfish. And oh my word. We absolutely consumed the rice cakes and goldfish. Often a second bag of rice cakes was needed. Or a bag of popcorn. Or two bags of popcorn. We were famished. It didn't matter that mother was preparing dinner as we were snacking because we were so hungry. We would sit there, reading, listening, and snacking for a solid hour. 

And as much as I like rice cakes, Odyssey and reading, the best part was that we were relaxing. We were clearing our minds. We were giving our bodies a chance to make it to the end of the day. 

When I come home from work I go for a run or start making dinner. It is not restful. It doesn't help me to clear my mind. And it doesn't give me an extra oomph! to make it to the end of the day. And the worst part? You can't find those rice cakes anywhere. Off the market. Completely. 


Some days I just need a good rice cake, and an hour to truly enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment