Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving

It's kind of funny how things appear when you look back. My memories of this holiday week are full of warmth... which is funny because my dad has the same thermostat philosophy as my husband (turn it low low low low low low low low - Flo Rida style!) so it wasn't very warm at all. In my memory though, it is warm and cozy, and my siblings and I are gathered in the living room watching whatever show we are currently addicted to, "Ed" or "JAG" or something while my father tries to get us to help him rip up bread for stuffing.

That was one of my Thanksgiving jobs. Ripping up bread. And sometimes eating little bits of it because for stuffing Dad sometimes bought white bread. NEVER allowed in our kitchen except for this one purpose so it was quite the treat. My parents ran around cleaning and cooking and preparing... and I watched television and gorged myself on white bread.

We would go to church on Thanksgiving and I would try to rush us out as soon as possible so that we wouldn't miss the entire Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Why I thought this parade was so important is beyond... oh wait. It's because they have teeny-bopper musical guests lip-sing for about a minute each at various points of the parade. Oh yeah. That's why it was important. You never knew the line-up and I certainly didn't want to miss my faves.

My second job was to create place cards. We were so creative. They were beautiful. And then my mother let us try and seat all of our relatives by ourselves. When family arrived they always wondered why the seating arrangement was so bonkers - I mean why would you seat a one-year-old without a parent in at least a three person radius?

I know that in those moments, I wasn't thankful at all. I took it all for granted. I wish that I had a spirit of gratitude in my younger years for all of the time I was able to spend with my siblings and cousins. Though we live in an age where technology can connect us across states and countries, it certainly is not the same.

I feel warm just thinking about these events. It was so much fun to have the whole family together, with tables lined up and stretching across the great room, a fire raging in the wood burning stove, and a delicious dinner to share.





No comments:

Post a Comment